Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Life in Film: Where was my life before them?


I consider myself to be an individual suffering from music ADD. I spend more time skipping songs on my iPod than I do listening to music in its entirety. This is not because I have a lack of passion for music. I love music. Everyday I spend at least an hour of my time tracking down new bands and artists. I simply feel that only the best songs are those that can be listened to at any given time, in any given place. It is not uncommon to discover a new song and become addicted to it. In most cases, you’ll listen to it for about a week before you move on to the next one. In the worst cases, you listen to it until you reach the point where merely hearing the first few notes is enough to make you want to throw your iPod off a cliff.

This mindset, though obviously ridiculous, has aided me far more than it has hurt me. Music has become a passion for me in the past few years and I have realized that my favorite songs are the ones that never get old. The truly good music is that which can simply play. It is the songs that cause a metaphorical double take that are the ones worth listening to. The best bands create music that can and will be appreciated by a person for the rest of their lives. The thought seems rather cliché and overdramatic but it is completely true. Great music is that which remains good even after that initial week of obsession. When the shiny façade of newness disappears, only the truly great songs are the ones that continue to play.

Life in Film
For me, Life in Film is a band that has truly been able to grasp this concept. I discovered a single song two years ago and have since been plagued by my desire to hear more from the band. The group is able to create songs so catchy and enjoyable that listeners instinctually search iTunes for more. Get Closer was introduced to my eardrums nearly two years ago and I have yet to skip it when it appears on shuffle. While my love for the song may stem from the fact that it, and the Temper Trap’s Fader, was the anthem to my last summer before college, it is undeniable that the song exemplifies youth.



LushFest 2011- Life in Film 'Get Closer'

(A better sound quality version of the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ykxua71cOo)

In short, Get Closer is the epitome of catchy. It only takes a few plays before listeners find themselves subconsciously humming along to the song. The melody is infectious and the youthful vibe that is created is enough to have music lovers dancing. After a clean dozen, people will find themselves bouncing around the room and screaming along to lyrics. There is a clear pattern to the song, which makes it absolutely impossible to not sing to it once the lyrics are known. The repetition of “Get closer,” at the close of the song is done in a manner that would reflect the steady rhythm of whatever dance listeners have begun doing since hearing the song.



My genuine love for this song caused me to rush to iTunes in the hopes of buying more like it. Unfortunately for us Americans, the band’s music is next to impossible to find in a digital format. While I am a strong supporter of iTunes and streaming sites, not having Life in Film on my iPod was inexcusable. They’re that good. The only place that could help me was the Life in Film store, which I promptly visited. Songs such as ‘Suitcase’ and ‘The Idiot’ are equally as appealing as Get Closer.
I have a genuine admiration and respect for this British band. The group is incredibly underrated, so much so that most people I know have never even heard of them. I’ve done my best to covert friends and family into lovers of Life in Film and, to be entirely honest, it wasn’t all that difficult. I’ve said it before but good music doesn’t need anyone to advocate on its behalf. If it’s genuinely enjoyable, people will listen and love with no hesitation. This is what happened with Life in Film. It only takes one search on YouTube for people to succumb to the irresistible sound of Life in Film. So, what are you waiting for?



Band Members:
Dominic Sennett
Edward Ibbotson
Micky Osment
Samuel Fry

Check out the official website of Life in Film to stay up to date on upcoming tours, music releases, and videos. More importantly, buy the music!

Life in Film on Social Media:

You’re welcome. Enjoy.

MusMov_TellyV

No comments:

Post a Comment